13 September 2007

3:10 to Yuma

I've been in a funk recently. Not sure why. Maybe because I have had a constant headache for the past 3 days that no amount of sleep and or drugs seem to cure. Took yesterday off work and did a lot of sleeping. Feel a little better today, but still got a lingering headache and still a bit of the funk (or depression) as well.

I did manage to see the new 3:10 to Yuma movie on Tuesday. I had recently watched the older Glenn Ford version on TV and I love Christian Bale, so I had to go see the new version. It was very good, but after so recently seeing the older version, I sat there in the movie theater constantly comparing versions. I should have know better as I have a rule to never read the book version of the movie right before seeing the movie itself. I have ruined my enjoyment of several movies by doing this. Now I am adding a addendum to my rule.... never watch the older version of a movie right before watching the newer version.

So, back to the movie itself. The new version is a lot darker and more violent than the previous version and some of the story line has been changed from the older verison as well. Instead of the wife joining Christain Bale's character, it is his son in the newer version. And I won't spoil ya, but the ending is a bit different as well.

Now, I hate to say this, but I really liked Glenn Ford's portrayal of Ben Wade better than Russell Crow's. Not sure why, but I just "got" Glenn Ford's cockiness and manipulation in his performance of the outlaw Ben Wade.

Other than that, I did thoroughly enjoy the movie and Christain Bale is still one of the best young actors in Hollywood.

No comments: