03 December 2006

Proud to be a Geek

Most of you know I am an engineer by trade and somewhat OCD about my home being organized. And a new home with different sized closets and kitchen cabinets means a trip to one of my favorite stores, The Container Store.

So, I get all the measurements I need, grab my trusty tape measure and head off to said organizational mecca. I am working my way through the store, cart loaded with new goodies, when some cute little Container Store employee come over to ask if I need any help. He is the conversation that follows....

"No I pretty much got everything on my list," I comment as I wave my neatly printed out list.

"Wow, you are organized. Usually people come here and want to get something, but don't have measurements to know if the item will fit."

"Well, I am an engineer and a bit anal about all this, so I measured everything before I came here to make sure."

"Well, at least you don't have all your cabinets and closets drawn out on a piece of graph paper," Container Store employee chuckles.

crap

"Well actually......," as I sheepishly show her my notebook full of neatly printed out diagrams of my kitchen cabinets, laundry room cabinets, and all my closets.

crappity crap crap crap.... I am officially a geek!

Container Store Employee then make a beeline for the other part of the store as I laughed and yell after her, "Run, run away, as fast as you can."


And in other geekdom news.

My friend Lori was over yesterday to see the new place and she helped me fix the small leak on my washing machine.

We took out the drainage hose where the leak seemed to be coming from the connection of said hose to the back of the machine and headed to Home Depot. We were not sure what the problem was until my brain finally kicked in and I realized that the hose end seemed to be missing a simple little o-ring.

So, we bought an o-ring and headed back to the condo. We re-installed the drainage hose (as well as new braided supply hoses) and turned on the washing machine to test the seal of the drainage hose.

As we were leaning over the machine checking to make sure there were no more leaks, I commented that the whole problem was caused by a simple little o-ring.

My mind immediately thinks of the long ago Shuttle Challenger disaster just as Lori says, "just like the Space Shuttle Challenger." Hee.

Then we both laugh and comment further that we are such dorks for making that kind of analogy from a o-ring on a washing machine.

So, make fun of me all you want for being a total dork, but I can fix my own washing machine and I have the best organized closets. Neener neener!

1 comment:

Joy said...

But you're still a dork!! :)