09 August 2006

Vacation Photos II - Mystic

Next stop on the vacation was Mystic, CT. You can have the Seaport area. I guess I am just not into that fake historic, charge an arm and a leg kind of touristy places. There were a few interesting things at the Seaport, the rope house being the highlight for me (this really long building where they made rope for ships). Other than that there were really old ships and really old buildings and it was HOT out.

I did buy a prism glass to hang in my window. These prisms were used on ships to provide light below deck. The flat part of the prism is flush with the top deck and the pointy end sticks through the cieling of the rooms below deck. I had heard about these prisms a long time ago, so it was interesting to finally see them in work on a ship.

The nicest part of the trip was when we went to nearby Stonington, CT for lunch. Gone was the touristy-ness of Mystic replaced by a quaint little town with a great harbor. We ate at a seafood place right on the harbor. I had my first ever Lobster. Didn't see much of a difference between Lobster and crablegs, except the lobster's beady little eyes stare at you while you are eating it.

And one recommendation..... avoid the Friendly's in Mystic. Man that place is ALL little kids screaming at the top of their lungs. Yikes!

No comments: