17 August 2006

Cool Websites

Time Magazine recently posted their years 50 coolest websites. Since I have been a little distracted from work recently, I checked out a few of these websites. Well, actually I pretty much looked at all of them. Here are a few highlights.

PhotoMuse is a joint project by the International Center of Photography in New York City and the George Eastman House in Rochester (the world's oldest photography museum), PhotoMuse remains a work in progress. The site's current online database of images is just a fraction of the ultimate goal of 200,000 by the fall, but it's a fine start.

Rocketboom is a mix of Daily Show-esque reports, Web news and commentary on Internet culture.

Delicious Days. I immediately thought of Joy when I saw this sight. This is a blog about food, written by foodies — namely, German couple Nicole Stich and Oliver Seidel of Munich. The design is elegant and there are loads of gorgeous images of, well, food, but also folks preparing food, fresh food at the market and exotic ingredients.

Mighty Goods. Where would we be without a shopping website. Here blogger Margaret Mason of San Francisco cheerfully identifies cool things to buy and provides links to the websites that sell them. Her tagline is, appropriately, "Hooray for stuff!"

There is also Uncrate and Outblush, a mens and womens web magazine for guys and girls who love to shop. Our staff helps you find the best gadgets, clothes, urnishings, beauty items, cars and more.

The geek in me liked Instructables. Do-it-yourselfers will appreciate this site, with its step-by-step instructions for making things you never knew you wanted.

Joy might also like this one, Kevin Sites in the Hot Zone. Veteran war correspondent Kevin Sites, known for his deft use of digital newsgathering techniques and compelling narrative style, continues his work covering conflicts in all parts of the globe. In September 2005, he embarked on a yearlong mission: to cover every armed conflict in the world in 12 months. From the home "Reporting From" page, click Past Locations for links to his multimedia reports from 17 other troubled regions, from Cambodia to Kashmir; scroll to the bottom of that page for a link to his groundbreaking coverage in Iraq in 2004.

I love puzzels, so Numbers Logic is definately a website for me. I could waste hours on this site. This site offers a hefty supply of puzzles to tackle. Work independently or compete head-to-head against other registered users.

I already had Cute Overload on my links list. Yay, I am cool!

I am currently relocating to Seattle; selling my condo in NYC and looking to buy in Seattle. Zillow is an interesting site that uses tax records, sales history and actual amounts paid for comparable properties in your area to calculate an estimate ("Zestimate") of your home's worth. It's fun to zoom in on your neighborhood and see how much the houses in your area are worth.

Wanna publish your blog into book form? Or publish a book of photos for a gift? Check out Blurb. I'm seeing a few Christmas gifts from this site.

1 comment:

Joy said...

So, um, don't tell anyone in my family about that Blurb site, huh. I think I have some future gifts coming from there. :)