18 August 2006

Broadway Thrills

An old college buddy of mine is in town this week and last night, we got together for dinner and a show. She picked the show and told me we were seeing Sweeney Todd.

Now, I had heard of the name Sweeney Todd, but I had no knowledge of who or what this person was. I thought this was some story about the old south. It sounds southern, doesn't it?

Boy, I couldn't have been farther from the truth. "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" blared the advertisements and posters as we approached the Egune O'Neil theater on 49th. Ok, so not a feel-good story about the old south. The stage curtain was black and had rips in it like someone took a very large knife to it multiple times.

This show is dark. Very dark. But it was also very witty and funny and thrilling. The actors not only sang brilliantly, they also all played at least one musical instrument on stage. They guy who played Tobias played the violin and sang beautifully. There was no orchestra, only the actors themselves playing cellos, guitars, flute, trumpets, piano, clarinets and percusions on stage themselves. Acting, singing, and playing instruments. Wow, this is a talented cast and this show had such a unique stage setup.

Definatly not your run of the mill Broadway musical. I am glad my friend took me to this show as I had a blast.

No comments: