11 October 2007

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

The Good: I am getting more used to 2nd shift and even more used to all the walking I have been doing. My legs and feet no longer feel like they are gonna fall off at the end of the day, so that is indeed good news. I'm not as tired by 11pm and the nights are going quicker. I still like 2nd shift, mainly cause the office is so quiet after about 6pm, you can actually get some work done.

The Bad: My DVR is apprarently on the fritz as it failed to record the last two nights of prime-time TV. I've come home to nadda on my DVR. Not sure why, but after a few late night tests last night, I think it is working correctly again.... will know more late tonight when I get home from work. If it failes to record for a third night, it is going back to Comcast for a replacment tomorrow morning. Argh!

The Ugly: I work in an industry heavily dominated by males. I am used to it and rarely have problems with any percieved slights or bias. However, yesterday, male idiotness reared its ugly head again. Twice yesterday, the male co-worker who is training me and the two other young male co-workers I am training with went off to the training facility without bothering to notify me.

The idea is that we follow our trainer around to learn from him. So how am I supposed to learn if they don't even bother to tell me when they are headed out to the training facility? Needless to say I was pissed. One slight like this I can deal with, but twice in less than four hours took me over the edge. I vented to two supervisors, letting them know that this was unacceptable and disrespectful.

I don't think it was deliberate... more likely just very young fresh out of college guys who just haven't learned how to appropirately communicate in the workplace yet. But if management is going to have these young guys be trainers, then they need to have the interpersonal skills as well as the technical skills to do the job effectively.

We will see how tonight goes.....

No comments: