28 July 2007

The iPhone

I along with everyone else in the known universe saw all the commercials for the new iPhone. I wasn't sure what to believe. It looked pretty nifty, but does it really match all the hype that surrounded it?

Well, today, one of my coworkers let me play around with his iPhone. Great googlymoogly, it is awesome! After showing me all the functions that it can do; videos, itunes, web, phone, voicemail, etc...., I must say that Apple has done it again.

However, the $599 price tag, which does not include the monthly AT&T phone/internet fee, is a bit steep for me at the moment. That's the price of a decent mid-range laptop on sale at Best Buy.

The other 2 things that would keep me from buying this device?

1) I would really like this iPhone to store, read and edit word and excel files and read pdf files. From what I could tell, the iPhone doesn't yet do this. Of course, this would mean playing in the same sandbox as Microsoft, so I am not holding my breath for this to happen any time soon.

2) I would also like more memory. 8GB is its current capacity. My current iPod is the 20GB capacity so I may fill up the 8GB iPhone capacity on music alone leaving no room for videos and photos. Apple either needs to increase the memory or add a SD card slot. This is especially important if my #1 resquest above is ever added as a feature.

So I will wait. See how Apple enhances their current iPhone with new features and make a decision later on as to whether or not to purchase.

No comments: