11 August 2006

Vacation Photos III - Cape Cod

I have been to many seaside communities before, most of them horribly overdeveloped with roads lined with cheap touristy souvenir stores. This is what I expected when we went to Cape Cod. I was surprised and glad to find this wasn't so much the case on Cape Cod. Now granted, we were there on a Monday and there were some areas that seemed over-developed, but overall, Cape Cod felt free of many of the tourist-trap cheapness that is prevalent in Myrtle Beach, the OuterBanks, and the gulf coast of Florida (I'm looking at you Panama City Beach).

We started driving on the northern part of the lower Cape. This is a real nice sparsely populated area with little artisan shops and B&Bs. I think you could spend days visiting all the quaint little shops along route 6A.

We then went to the southern part of the lower Cape and found a beachside hotel in Yarmouth to stay for the night. I suspect this area is the more touristy and overgrown area of the Cape, but it still doesn't come close to the crap that is Myrtle Beach.

Our journey took us into Harwich to the Cape Cod Braided Rug store. My new wood floor in my bedroom was asking for a nice pretty braided rug.

We then ventured north up the outer Cape, visiting beaches and lighthouses on our way to the tippy top of the Cape. At the Cape Cod Lighthouse, I actually got to go up to the top of the lighthouse, a rare treat. Most lighthouses are all automated these days and they don't let the public up in them, so climbing all the stairs to the top was tiring, but well worth the opportunity and the incredible views.

I am looking forward to returning to Cape Cod in the future.

No comments: