05 February 2007

Men of Character

Yesterday was the Superbowl as most of you probably know. I was cheering for the Colts and glad they won.

I was even happier when I saw some of the quotes from Tony Dungy in the news this morning.

"The Lord doesn't always take you in a straight line," Dungy said. "He doesn't always take a direct path. I think he tests you sometimes to see if you're going to keep the faith and hang in there and I think we did."

I know this is just football, and I certainly don't think God takes sides in sporting contests, but I am so impressed with Dungy and even Colts owner James Irsay. They both so openly acknowledged their faith during all their Superbowl interviews this past weekend. It was great to see and hear that in this day and age of the self-absorbed and overpaid sports stars.

In a brief google search on Jim Irsay, I also discovered this quote from him:
"One thing I always do is pray, I do. I don't pray for the outcome, I don't pray for victories, but I pray, you know, just for God's guidance and strength. I pray for our players and I pray to be just an instrument of God, because I know that if things don't go well then it's my time as an owner, you know, to be there."

Its wonderful to see these men of character come out on top for a change.

No comments: