25 February 2007

44 Pounds!

I know my Africa trip is a long 67 days away, but my travel companions are coming over to my place today so we can discuss the trip details and the packing list. Why yes, I am anal-retentive, thankyouverymuch!

We have three weeks in Africa, but we are only allowed 44 pounds of luggage in no more than two bags, which all have to be soft-sided. Oh, and no wheels on the luggage either. That should be easy enough [/sarcasm].

So, yesterday, I got out all my camera equipment and after a painstaking and long process, I managed to narrow it down to the bare minimum of what I need for the trip. Then came the big decision.... which camera bag to use. Those of you who know me, know that I like camera bags and have many to choose from. But what to use for three weeks in Africa?

Making this decision more complicated is the fact that I have to navigate through two London airports to get to Africa. Said London airports have a ONE bag carry-on restriction right now. Which means, I need to carry-on all my camera equipment AND any of the personal items I need to bring with.

I tried out Lowepro's Slingshot bag yesterday (the 200AW version). It is a very nice bag, but it doesn't leave much room for your personal stuff.

It would be great for walking around town or on small day trips where you don't need much else besides your wallet and a granola bar. However, traipsing halfway around the world through three airports, I just don't think it will work. If I could use this bag plus another carry-on, it would probably work great. But we are only allowed the one carry-on both through London and on the safari (we are flying in some light aircraft). I still may keep the bag though. Not sure, but I have two weeks to return if I don't want to keep it.

So, right now, I am going with my trusty old Lowepro backpack. It has plenty of camera equipment room in the base of the backpack, but still has enough room in the top portion for lots of personal stuff. At least I am figuring this out now instead of the night before I leave.

No comments: